Saturday, March 31, 2007

April 1 - Bridge to Terabithia

Another kids movie, this one also reminded me of old Disney movies like, "Escape to Witch Mountain." In this movie, a pre-adolescent boy meets a like-aged girl who has just moved in next door. They both don't fit at school and develop a friendship. She has two writers for parents and evidently therefrom, a vivid imagination. Sufficiently vivid that, in the movie, it becomes real, though the movie does not expect you to believe that what you are seeing is real.

Both my 5 year old and 7 year old liked the movie. It has some sad moments that might take some explaining, but, as with Mimsy, no blood or gore, no sex and no foul language that I remember with the possible exception of what might have occurred in some school scenes. The boy comes from the poorest of poor families which is a plot point and so that might take some explaining, as well in this age of abundance.

The movie was not what I expected. The fantasy world was clearly the product of the kid's imagination and not especially well explored. I expected more time in that world walking into the movie. The special effects were not garish or over-done and suited the movie. I have not read the book. I tend to like good children's novels (A Wrinkle in Time, Watership Down, The Hobbit, etc.) The movie makes me think I might like this one.

I'm not sorry I took the kids, nor am I sorry I saw this in the Theater. I still would like to see the movie that I thought I was going to see, though.

No comments: