Thursday, April 12, 2007

April 12 - Sacrifice

Rolando Ocampo seems to love his Wife and Daughter intensely. He must love God intensely too. Rolando is a devout Catholic in the Philippines. When his wife was giving birth to his daughter, complications arose. While praying to beg for a safe delivery for both, Rolando made a promise to have himself crucified on Good Friday. Both his daughter and wife came through safely and he makes good on his promise every year. Story and video, here.

I am not sure if this is crazy (using the term loosely) or not. If you assume it is, was the crazy part making the oath, following through on it or both? All I know is that at the end of the video, I was very much impressed by Rolando's dedication and moved by his sense of honor and the level of sacrifice he was willing to endure for his family.

1 comment:

joeyblades said...

Ummm... True, I would not arbitrarily volunteer to do such a thing myself, but it does not strike me as particularly intense.

Before I saw the nails they actually used, I noticed his hands and couldn't figure out where the scars were??? If you want to impress me, you need to have spikes nailed through your wrists as it was almost certainly done in the first century...

But then, I'm not easily impressed.