Friday, September 21, 2007

September 21 - Diet Update

So referring to it as a diet is still a misnomer, but I don't have a better way to refer to it. Anyway, here is how things stand. For the last month, Aug. 21 to today, I've lost 11.5 pounds and 22.5 pounds since the start of weight loss. My goal is to lose 1 pound every four days, but I am exceeding that, losing almost 1/3 lb per day. I chalk this up to underestimating how many calories I am burning. I assume that I make as many overestimation as underestimation errors in terms of calories consumed.

As of this morning I am happily at 236 lbs. Weight loss, to this point, is pretty linear on the graph, which is what science says one should expect if you maintain a roughly constant calorie deficit ever y day. Funny thing, you eat less, you lose weight. I am prepared for that to not continue. I kind of expect to hit a plateau. I haven't yet and maybe I won't. That would be nice.

To help manage calorie consumption, I have switched to packaged meals from Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice for maybe a third of my meals. They make calorie counting a cinch. I still am eating home made things and am starting to feel more comfortable with calorie estimation. I would definitely not say this has become easier (or harder) but it has never been particularly hard, either. The hardest part is determining how to deal with hunger pangs. Because I get real ones, not just snaking urges, though I get those too. Mostly I just have a 50-100cal snack and reduce my dinner meal or take a longer walk, later.

Oh yeah, to keep my metabolism up, I have taken up nightly walks of about 2 miles. I call that about 150cal though it could be more.

It has been crucial to weigh myself every day and carefully monitor my calorie intake. Other than that, I have eaten anything I like. For instance, last Sunday, I made roast beef tenderloin with home-made gnocchi and broccoli and had a couple of toasted marshmallows for desert. I called that 950 calories and did not feel deprived by my portion size (and it tasted good, too.) I woke up late that day so I had two breakfast tacos with eggs and cheese for brunch for about 600 calories. On that day I had a calculated 800 calorie deficit.

That's all for now. I plan to celebrate when I see 229.5 or less on the scale. I haven't been there in quite a few years. That should only be a couple of weeks off. A bit of that previously mentioned gluttony may be in order :-)

No comments: